Monday, December 1, 2014

There's something in the water, I say.

Have you ever tried drinking tap water or unfiltered? It's quite a way to get yourself sick. One of the infection you can get is Cholera. Cholera is an infection in the small intestine caused by a bacterium called Vibrio cholerae. The main symptoms are quite simple yet unsettling. Watery diarrhea and vomiting are the main symptoms and may result dehydration and in severe cases grayish-bullish skin or even death in some cases. Cholera is typically transmitted by either contaminated food or water. In the developed world, seafood is the usual cause, while in the developing world it is more often water. Most cholera cases in developed countries are a result of transmission by food. This occurs when people harvest oysters in waters infected with sewage, as Vibrio cholerae accumulates in zooplankton and the oysters eat the zooplankton. Cholera has been found in two animal populations: shellfish and plankton. People infected with cholera often have diarrhea, and if this highly liquid stool, colloquially referred to as "rice-water", contaminates water used by others, disease transmission may occur. The source of the contamination is typically other cholera sufferers when their untreated diarrheal discharge is allowed to get into waterways, groundwater or drinking water supplies. Drinking any infected water and eating any foods washed in the water, as well as shellfish living in the affected waterway, can cause a person to contract an infection. Cholera is rarely spread directly from person to person. Both toxic and nontoxic strains exist. Nontoxic strains can acquire toxicity through a temperate bacteriophage. Coastal cholera outbreaks typically follow zooplankton blooms, thus making cholera a zoonotic disease. Although cholera may be life-threatening, prevention of the disease is normally straightforward if proper sanitation practices are followed. In developed countries, due to nearly universal advanced water treatment and sanitation practices, cholera is no longer a major health threat. Yet for the countries that lacks these advanced water treatment and practices, there are ways they can prevent cholera such as:Sterilization,Water purification, Finding sources, And treatment on the sewage. It's been quite a long time since I drank in a unfiltered water, but I didn't have the knowledge on that time that you could get sick by drinking on it. Now that I have known about this, I should get myself check with a doctor. I'm quite afraid that I might have some unspeakable things right inside of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment